Wednesday, June 17, 2015

Flexibility

We all know that dancing improves flexibility more than doing nothing at all. But, how flexible do I need to be to ballroom dance? Should I be doing stretches in-between classes? How does my dance goals relate and help my overall fitness goals?

One of the reasons I fell in love with ballroom dancing is because I didn't have to be super flexible to be successful, and more importantly, feel beautiful. Being classically trained in ballet and modern dance, flexibility was a focus on a daily basis. It has never been something that has come easy to me. Not being flexible is no excuse to not try ballroom dancing.

Even today, I don't think of myself as a flexible person. It's my own personal goal to increase my flexibility. I will be doing a challenge with all my students  during the month of July to increase their flexibility as well. This new goal has been inspired by many of my students. As adults, many of us sit at a desk most of the day. Thinking about posture and the way we sit, never crosses our mind. But, over time sitting and standing with poor posture will tighten the muscles. Remember making a funny face as a child, and your mother would warn "if you keep making that face it will freeze that way". Same thing. I have reminded my students to stand tall, and focus on their posture but for some it is physically impossible without increasing the flexibility in their pecks, neck, shoulders, and back. I know I don't want to be hunched over at 85, and I'm sure you don't either.

Tip #1 : set a reminder on your phone that says "posture". This will help remind you to still work on it while multitasking at work.

Many students see fancy dips and tricks on Dancing with the Stars and want to do something similar. However, it's simply not safe to try some tricks with out strength and flexibility training. This is why many dance studios are offering Stretch and Strength classes. (If you are interested in seeing these classes added to the Roc Ballroom schedule comment below.) A combination of yoga and Pilates classes are another great way to achieve this goal.

Tip #2 : Sit on the floor and stretch while watching TV at night.

Hip and leg flexibility is another area that will need improvement to achieve your dance goals. The technique in both rhythm and smooth dances require a certain amount of flexibility to feel "easy". You may have watched professionals on TV or at a competition and thought "wow it looks so easy for them, it must come naturally". Well, even though there are a few people that pick up dancing easier then others, everyone has to work hard at it. You can do the steps without flexibility but it will feel like a lot more work.

Tip #3 : Don't forget to breathe as your stretch. Take a large breath in and as you breathe out stretch further.

If you are looking to improve your overall fitness and dance skills at the same time then stretching on a regular basis is a no brainer. Although being very flexible isn't required to enjoy ballroom dancing, it will make you look like you are a natural. Ideally stretching will become part of your daily routine, but start out with a small, achievable goal. For example, I will stretch while watching TV 3x a week for the month of July. You can do it! I believe in you! Comment below to let me know how the stretching is going. Follow me on Facebook and Twitter to get more tips and stretches.

~Meg~

No comments:

Post a Comment