Saturday, June 20, 2015

Pilates: a refreshing mind-body workout

Pilates has been a favorite form of training and exercise for dancers in the United States since 1926. Joseph Pilates developed his system of training during WWI, and after leaving Germany he brought it to New York City. Many famous dancers such as George Balanchine and Hanya Holm have practiced Pilates and Pilates technique. It has been favored among dancers because it develops long, lean muscles and treats the body as a whole. Some of Joseph Pilates' students opened their own studios. Pilates has increased in popularity throughout the country in the past 89 years, but especially in the 1980s. It's no longer a form of exercise for the rich and famous. You can find a Pilates class in most cities around the country. In Rochester you can find Pilates classes at the following locations...


- Pilates Plus (www.pilatesplus.net/)
- Hana Pilates (http://www.hpbodyworks.com/)
-Pilates of Rochester (http://pilatesofrochester.com/)
- You can also find Pilates classes in most gyms and fitness centers.


Your can find group mat classes, group reformer classes, spring board classes in most Pilates' studios. Private and semi private lessons are also very popular, think of it as working with a personal trainer.


" Pilates builds a strong core, increases strength and flexibility simultaneously, and improves posture, stability and alignment. It also emphasizes complete concentration on smooth, flowing movement, and proper breathing. You become acutely aware of how your body feels, where it is in space, and how best to control its movement" (www.pilates.com)

I personally have only experienced group and private mat classes and I LOVE THEM!!! I feel challenged without being discouraged. I have also been someone that doesn't enjoy going to the gym but I look forward to going to Pilates (and yoga). I don't know if it is because of the mind-body connection they emphasis with breathing, or I'm just happy not to be in a gym with "lunkheads". Either way I feel relaxed and accomplished when I leave. Now that I am home with my two adorable children, I find myself taking care of them more then myself. It's crazy how quickly I was able to push aside my own health to focus on giving everything to my family. As mothers, I think we feel guilty at times for doing things for ourselves. Taking a couple hours out of the week to exercise, or take a dance class seems like a selfish act. But, I have made a promise to myself to get healthy. Not only because I would like to lose my baby weight, but because I want to set an example to my children that taking care of your physical (and mental) health is important.


If you would like to see Pilates classes added to the Roc Ballroom schedule please comment below.

No comments:

Post a Comment